Monthly Musing – January 2016 – Taking care

The New Year is
here again, a clean page upon which to write all the adventures for next
year.  It’s a time to build on last
year’s successes, to start new projects and even to reinvent ourselves.  The world is our oyster, at least for a short
while.

The New Year is
also a time when we often ask ourselves big questions.  Who am I?
Why am I here?  What’s it all
about?  It can be a time of uncertainty
as well as excitement.

I am
Christine.  I am a wife, a mother, a
knitter, a gardener, a director in the business I share with my husband.  I am a cook, a cleaner, a housekeeper.  I am a teacher, a nurse, a counsellor, a
confidante.  I am a taxi driver, a
logistics expert, a sheepdog taking care of my flock.  The list goes on.  And interestingly, if you were to look at the
list of roles that make up who I am, many of them involve doing something for
someone else.  I bet that if you made a
list, you’d be the same.   It’s not a bad
way to be – after all, the way to be happy is to help someone else – but I am
aware, as I am sure you are, that we need to take care of ourselves as much as
other people, and that’s something that I’m not always very good at.

It makes me
think of the instruction in the aeroplane safety announcements – “secure your
own mask before helping others”.  It’s
wise advice, often missed as we check what’s in the seat pockets or the
duty-free magazines.  We’re no use to
anybody else unless we are already safe within ourselves; happy, healthy,
comfortable in our own skin – and how many of us can say that we really are,
before we launch into taking care of someone else’s life?   It’s easy to get caught up in what we’re
doing and focus on what comes next without thinking about how we need to rest
and recharge our own batteries.  Simple
words, I know, and I’m not always very good at taking any notice of them.

This year, I
want to be different.  I want to reinvent
the Christine that rarely stops to take breath and become someone who secures
her own mask first.  That doesn’t mean
that I want to become selfish and inward-looking, ignoring other people to
concentrate on my own needs.  It means
that I want to build up my own reserves so that I’ve got more than enough to
support someone else.  It means taking
time out to have a soak in the bath instead of “just” finishing the ironing or
the cleaning or checking for messages on my phone or the computer.  It means sitting quietly and watching the
grass grow sometimes.  It means taking
care.  And it means taking care of
me.

Whatever – or whoever – you take care of in 2016,
I hope it is a wonderful year for you xx

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. linda says:

Wise words Christine, wishing you and your family all the very best for 2016. 🙂 xx

2. faith76 says:

Happy New Year! And thoughtful words, all the best Leah x

3. Christina says:

Happy New Year Christine. I am sometimes 'guilty' of securing everybody else's mask before I ensure mine is safely on, too. Your timely reminder to look after ourselves is excellent. I am looking forward to reading more about your journey this year! x

4. Amy at love made my home says:

I hope that you have a good year and can take care of yourself well, you deserve it. Happy New Year! xx

5. sustainablemum says:

These are very wise words. It is really important to look after ourselves otherwise we are no good for anything. That doesn't mean that we have to be selfish but just out ourselves first sometimes, I hope you succeed!

6. Maria says:

Great post Christine. My first thought for this year (I don't do resolutions or even goals lately) is 'To be kind to myself' which is exactly the same as your thoughts.

7. Plain Jane says:

Beautifully put Christine. I always think of the 'jug' scenario – when your own jug is drained it is impossible to fill those around you – take time to 'fill your jug!' A great way to start the new year – thank you x

8. Anonymous says:

Truly wise words, that I too will try to encompass. Wishing you a very happy and healthy year ahead. I really enjoy your blog. No socks knitted yet but that will be at least one of my goals for this year! Best wishes.

9. Unknown says:

Lovely words Christine and a good "resolution" (altho I do so hate that word!). I too wish to try and take better care of myself this year and let go of some of the small stuff… Hoping your year is everything you wish for. x

10. Darlene says:

I have been thinking the same thoughts myself…I need to take care of myself so that I can better take care of my family and friends. I have let myself become drained in the last few years and it has caught up to me. Time to put myself first and say no to some things. It is very hard to say "no". 🙂