Monthly Musing – August 2015 – Time

Imagine, for a
moment, that we are sitting on a beach or up a mountain on a beautiful summer’s
evening.  We are watching the stars,
imperceptibly moving across the sky as the night becomes day.  How slowly the time moves, how calm we feel!

Now, it’s 8.30
am on a weekday morning.  We have to be
at school in half an hour and that same time which stretched endlessly has
suddenly shrunk to no time at all.  The
traffic is busy, the children are never ready when you want them to be and
you’re bound to have forgotten something.
How does this happen?

The school
summer holidays are nearly over here in England.  It’s the last day of August.  Almost seven weeks have passed by and where
has that time gone?  What have we done
with all of those hours?  Well, in our
case we’ve visited friends, had a some time away, done some jobs around the
house, walked the dog, had days and evenings out and most of all, had a
rest.  I have been grateful for the
slowness of the mornings and for not having to battle with the rush hour traffic.  I have been grateful for the difference in
the amount of washing and ironing that I have had to do.  I have been grateful to be able to stop clock
watching, ready to abandon whatever I am doing to do the school run instead.  Most of all, I have been grateful for not
feeling as if I am constantly late.

I know that
time is a human concept, invented to make to easier for us to live with one
another in societies which have grown busier over the centuries.  What I have never understood, though, is how despite
the regularity of the hours, time seems to be flexible, like a rubber band or
piece of Plasticine, stretching out and then snapping back to make an apparent
mockery of those minutes etched on the clock face.  Why does time fly when you’re having fun and
last interminably when you’re not?  Why do
we never have enough hours in the day when we’ve always got the same number, no
matter what day it is?

My plan for today
is to try to organise the next few days and week so that we’re not constantly running
late, forgetting things and squeezing too much into too short a time.  I’ve said before that September always feels
like the start of a new year, and my resolution for this one is to make it
until the official New Year in January without feeling that time was invented
to make me feel like a hamster on a wheel which never stops.  Who knows if I’ll manage it (and you know that I’ll
keep you posted!) but if there are a few moments along the way to watch the
stars, then I think I might just make it.

You may also like...

17 Responses

1. Run Home To Crochet says:

I know exactly what you mean that we all have lots of things we want to do but sometimes time just runs away with us. Do in fact take the time to chill and watch the stars and catch up with yourself. Good luck – Joy xx

2. Jo says:

I'm convinced that organisation is key to being on time, and to having time, however, it doesn't work if those around you aren't organised too. Hanging around waiting for everyone else to catch up drives me mad.

• Winwick Mum says:

I think you're absolutely right, Jo. Sadly, my youngest is surprised every morning when she has to get up and get ready for school so I don't think organisation is high on her priority list! This may be something that needs to change this year! xx

3. Christina says:

It was moon gazing the other night, lost in thought. It was a nice moment of quiet reflection. Wishing you some moments like that, too. The hamster wheel is turning here, too. I am not complaining, on Mondays my oldest does the school run for the littlest and my second oldest does the cooking. I am glad we don't have to drive to school (5 min walk for both primary and secondary!), I don't think I could cope. x

• Winwick Mum says:

I'm glad you've got everyone pulling together, that's what families are about. Hoping your hamster wheel doesn't go too fast! xx

4. tlcukjourney says:

Time goes way too fast doesn't it?
    Our kids have just started their 2nd week of school and my kids are just growing way too fast!
    I Hope you have a great week,
    Tammy

5. Amy at love made my home says:

Oh yes, I so know what you mean!!! I am right now in a limbo of time because I have so many things to do, but I cannot do them because I am waiting for this that or the other. So frustrating. I hope that you and time can work things out between now and Christmas and have developed a great new relationship to carry on into next year! xx

6. Angel Jem says:

And so it's September and time to climb on the hamster wheel again. Good luck getting organised until January!

• Winwick Mum says:

Of course – you'll be back at school too this week! I've been thinking about your de-cluttering and decorating posts a lot this week, Jo, you've been such an inspiration! xx

7. Anna says:

Hello Christine,
    You are so inspirational… I love the blog and I love the socks. Happy knitting.

8. Penny says: